Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Reader Writes... (Problems with the Boss - Part 4)

In response to the post, “Problems with the Boss,” a reader writes:

“Awesome replies. You put things into a whole new perspective! Thanks!”

SC Response
I appreciate that. But I do have the benefit of being able to see the whole system and to observe how people interact within the system. It allows me to be much more objective. I also recognize that when things are directly affecting you, that the ability to be objective often goes right out the window. However, that is exactly the time when a little objectivity becomes most important. I have a very good friend that is working in a very bad district right now. In fact, I would rank it in the bottom 5% of the districts in its state. Not due to the students, but due to the lack of executive leadership discipline and instructional staff disinterest.

As a student advocate, my friend is a cancer in this organization. She is constantly being challenged and harassed by those above, beside and below her. Her question was what should she do if she gets an official reprimand. To which my response was, “Leave now. You are not appreciated and they are purposely working to make you ineffective so they don’t look bad.”

As I mentioned before, I have been in a similar situation before. Early in my career, I had a mentor retire. The month before he retired, he came to my campus and said, “Go find another job now. Everyone in this district wants you gone.”

“But I’ve done everything you’ve asked me too, and the campus is much better now,” was my response.

To which he said, “And that is why they hate you.”

The moral is this, fight the good fight, until you are no longer effective. Then go fight it somewhere else. Once you get caught up in “your” needs and “your” comfort and “your” rights, then you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself, “When did I quit being about 'my' students?"

Think. Work. Achieve.

Your turn...

No comments:

Post a Comment