Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Reader Asks... Anonymous Letters

An LYS reader asks the following:

"Mr. Cain,

Recently our campus has been hit by a rash of anonymous letters. I know that we are on the right track, but it is obvious that my principal is concerned. Any advice?"

SC Response:
Instead of my answer, I passed this question to the person who taught me how to deal with the type of trash that you asked about.

Brezina Answers:
Bosses handle anonymous letters is a number of different ways, from ignoring them (the correct way) to reacting like subject of the letter is the guilty party (the wrong way).

I throw them in the garbage because that is what the letters are; unless I keep them as evidence against the letter writer. Anonymous letters are the biggest waste of time and money that I know of and so do the people that are sending them (their goal is to stop progress, without having a legitimate reason). There is just one caveat. If the complaint alleges a criminal act, then a cursory review by a supervisor should be conducted.

Anonymous letters shouldn’t be a problem for your principal, unless your district handles it wrong.

BB

Now, I’m interested in the advice of E. Don Brown and LYS Nation.

Think. Work. Achieve.

Your turn...

No comments:

Post a Comment