Friday, March 12, 2010

A Reader Writes... (Instructional Discussions - Part 6)

In response to the posts addressing, “Instructional Discussions,” a reader writes:

“These have been good posts. As I recall, you told me to go into “bunker mode” once. It was great advice. As we know, I didn’t follow it (just like you wouldn’t), but it was still the right advice at the time. "

SC Response
What a lot of the newer readers miss is the fact that we recognize that leadership is both situational and contextual. There are times when doing the right thing leads through miles of misery and grief. That sometimes the prudent response is to just ride out the storm. I won’t second guess you when you do that. I respect the "chair" (having occupied it for most of my career). Sometimes, I will even recommend the option of not engaging. Not, that I have ever liked that option. And if you take the prudent route, I will support you even as I remind you that it is your students that are being sacrificed so you can live to fight another day. It’s not good or bad, it just is.

And as you well know, if you ignore the advice to be prudent, I’m with you every step of the way. After all, that’s when it gets fun.

Think. Work. Achieve.

Your turn...

No comments:

Post a Comment