Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Property Tax Appraisal - Revisited

A number of readers have noticed over the past eighteen months the blog has addressed political topics more frequently than was the previous norm. I was raised with the understanding that it is bad form to discuss politics or religion in polite company. Sadly, with the attack on public education by the far right and the apathy towards public education by everyone else, I have felt compelled to ignore the lessons of my childhood more often than I like.

As I have mentioned before, I have adopted the willingness to invest in public education as my candidate litmus test. If we agree on that, I am willing to overlook a lot of other views held by the candidate. We disagree on that and the rest of the candidate views no longer matter (in terms of getting my vote).

But my stance is more than just posturing and empty words. I have figured out a small but critical way to financially support my position (with is appropriate considering that my position is financial).

Previously, I would protest my property taxes appraisal as a matter of course. It is a prudent practice from an individual financial standpoint. By reducing the valuation of my house, I reduce my tax burden and put more dollars in my pocket. However, from a supporting public education standpoint, reducing my tax burden reduces revenue for my neighborhood schools. So for now the second year, my wife and I will not protest the appraised value of our house. We will continue to pay taxes on a slightly inflated value because our community and our state are suffering from a structural tax deficit orchestrated by our governor and the republican legislature. As school people it is the right thing to do. And if things don’t improve with the upcoming election, I might give up my homestead exemption (against the continued advice of my CPA).

Serious times require purposeful action by serious people. Once again I ask, “What are you doing?”

Think. Work. Achieve.

Your turn...

  • Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/4ydqd4t
  • Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation
  • Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
  • Confirmed 2012 Presentations: NASB Conference; TASSP Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment