Wednesday, January 18, 2017

A Reader Asks... The Close

A LYS Principal asks the following:

SC,

I need some help explaining the purpose of the "I Will" statement (The Close in a Lesson Frame) to my teachers. I am not getting the information across effectively. Basically, they are simply listing the daily assignment as the Close. What can I tell them that will help?

SC Response
The "I will..." (The Close, or Closing Question, in a Lesson Frame) is the proof of learning from doing the lesson activities.  It is not a lesson activity. 

A Wrong Example: I will complete an exit ticket. 

A Correct Example: (on my exit ticket) I will give an example of The Close and explain its purpose.

It sometimes takes a while for this distinction to click for teachers.  Teachers look at lessons through the lens of stuff and things (activities).  A good and effective Close makes them look at a lesson through the lens of student understanding.  We do have a training module on this, which a lot of campuses have found to be helpful.

Think. Work. Achieve.
Your turn...
  • Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com!  http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5 
  • Upcoming Conference Presentations: TASSP Aspiring Principal Workshop (Multiple Presentations), Learning for a Change Spring Summit (Keynote and Multiple Presentations) 
  • Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Timer (Fundamental 5 Delivery Tool); PowerWalks CLC (Networked Formative Observation Tool) 
  • Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation  and like Lead Your School on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment